absolutely random

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

my thoughts on hillary

So...I've been reading Hillary Rodham Clinton's book "Living History." It's interesting to learn about her life and times (especially pre-Bill days). I'm not sure what the intent of the book was..perhaps to personalize her to voters or push her political agendas or just to tell a story that a lot of people are curious to read. She does drop about two names per pharagraph which makes it a little thick to wade through and comprehend. For example, here is a sample from page 97: "Carl Wagner, a longtime Democratic activist and father of an only daughter, told Bill he would effectively be turning his daughter into an orphan. Mickey Kantor delivered the same message while he and Bill sat on the back porch of the Governor's Mansion."
Some people claim that Hillary should run for president. I brought up the subject at work and we had a hour long debate about the issue. One guy in particular said that there was "no way that a chick could be president." This sparked some issued within the women of the group...probably not a smart move on his part seeing as he was the only male amongst us. I'm not sure if a woman will be president within my lifetime, much less the next five years. But even though I don't agree with all of Hillary's political ideologies, I would probably vote for her becuase I do want to see what a woman president would be like. She is an extremely intelligent woman who holds a lot of similar passions as I do concerning child wellfare and women's rights.
With presidential elections approaching I feel so overwhelmed by politics and "American ideals." Do I know enough about politics to make an educated decision about any candidate. It seems to me as if it would be a full-time job to really get to understand every candidate for each position. Do we really know who we are voting for? what we are voting for? Or do we just vote for the person that looks the best, or has the best campaign package? I know that I usually just voted republican, but am now looking broader than I used to at all candidates regardless of party affiliations. But I still have no idea what I'm doing. So as far as I know...Hillary could be president. Who knows?

1 Comments:

  • Juliet has a blog! COOL!!!

    Anyway, I think a woman may become president in the next 20 years. It won't be Hillary though. She would do well in the so-called "Blue" states, but would not have a change in the south.

    Anyway, my blog resides at http://blog.erics-world.com

    Peace out.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home