absolutely random

Friday, October 27, 2006

other people's children

for a while now i have been watching my friends and family as they bring new little wonders into the world one by one. every baby born is always amazing to me and reminds me that we are now officially "grown-ups". (ironically "grown-ups" have converations that revolve around diaper rash and body parts). i love each of these miracles and am happy to be a part of their lives. but i'm not really looking for one of my own any time soon.
although i know that it is the next natural question to ask once someone gets married, i really get aggravated when people ask me- "so when are you and rocky going to have a little one?" atleast i know when it's coming now. the first few times it kind of smacked me upside the face. i just got married, kids are not on my mind...surviving the first year of marriage is on my mind. i feel as if i'm responding to the associated press and critical people want critical answers.
but i have learned to curve my knee jerk reaction of sarcasm (i.e. it's none of your business) and am able to politely answer- "we're not looking to have children in the near future." some folks like to ask why...but most are satisfied with that statement.
let me tell you one reason why i'm willing to wait (other than the fact that i married a musician). right now i am a nanny for a two year old little boy. let me tell you that there is no other form of psychological birth control quite as effective as a stubborn two year old. this little boy is currently going through the difficult combination of no naps, mommy seperation anxiety, and potty training, and i'm sure i would be a little crabby if i were him. the fact that i am NOT mommy does not help the situation. kids seem very far in the future after coming home from toddlerland. i'm not really longing for a two year old of my own for a while. right now i am perfectly satisfied loving other people's children, and that is good enough for me.

2 Comments:

  • We are going on 3 1/2 years of marriage and the questions gets harder and harder to answer. Now we tell people we want to buy a house first, that usually changes the subject!

    By Blogger Jen, at 7:31 PM  

  • Just wait . . . you have barely been released from the hospital from having your first and the question comes . . . "so when are you having another?" And the good part is that they don't come out as toddlers in their terrible 2's : ) You do get time to adjust and enjoy the sweetness before they turn into wild monsters!

    Enjoy your time with your husband. . . David and I waited 4 1/2 years before having Jackson and we don't regret it a bit!!!

    By Blogger Jarretts, at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home