absolutely random

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

potluck tip #32

So today at work we had a potluck for Thanksgiving. I decided that I was going to make pie. Pie making has become a big thing for me recently and I make about a pie a month (for one reason or another). I think of it as edible artwork. I love making the crust from scratch.
Well, I have been telling people about my pies and how they will have to try it when I bring it for the potluck. People were asking me about them yesterday all during work. Last night I mixed and rolled and baked. Today I brought my prized pumpkin pies to the table alongside three flans and a carrot cake and I was sure that they would stand the test and be the finest dessert that anyone had tasted. Well, I take one bite of my own pie anticipating the flavor....and I was sadly dissapointed. The pie tasted like crap. It had no flavor. I tried another peice just to make sure that I wasn't imagining something...and the same dissapointment overcame my tastebuds. One of my co-workers tried their peice of pie after me and looked at me funny. Another person bit in and laughed. Turns out that in all my pie-making frenzy I forgot to add sugar.
Even my executive director made fun of me for it. I got hassled so much. Needless to say I will have to do something to make up for this experience and restore my pie-making reputation. But even if I bring in the best tasting pie in the world on Monday, I don't think I'll ever be asked to make a pie at work again. Maybe this isn't altogether a bad thing, maybe this is a tool that more people should use. If you want to get out of making something for a potluck...make the first one taste horrible and you will never be bothered again.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home