absolutely random

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

where is home?

I went "home" to Chicago this weekend and loved it. Believe it or not, I really miss the feeling of cold. I never thought that I would say that...but the sun really gets old after a while. I feel most "at home" in Miami on the rare days that it is atleast cloudy or raining. Overcast is comfy for me.
Anyway, I am really having a hard time right now resolving this "home" issue. Where is home? I have moved about 6 times and had about 5 jobs since graduation from LCC in 2002! The address on my drivers license says my folks address in IL, but I haven't lived there since 2000. I just don't know what else to put on it. I don't even know what state to put next when I have to renew my license this summer. I am not resolved to dwell anywhere long enough to put down the type of roots that result in a permanent address. A permanent address requires something permanent in nature- a job, a marriage, a family, home ownership. Some of my addresses I can't even remember...that's not even close to permanent.
I'm kind of numb and overwhelmed from all this change. I don't deal well with change and I'm not adventurous. If it were up to me I would have lived in the same place my whole life. But for some crazy reason I felt challenged by God to reach out of my comfort zone and I haven't settled down yet. But I feel the strain of not having a "home" and I can imagine (atleast in part) the feelings of Jesus as he wandered from place to place...longing for a "home." But his "home" was, and is, heaven. I miss the comforts Westmont, IL so much it makes me burst out in tears...I can't imagine leaving heaven and longing for that comfort. I don't know how Jesus wasn't just a blubbering mess sometimes. I would have lost it....I am losing it a little already.
So I struggle with this question: As a Christian...is it good to have a "permanent address" or should we always feel that long for "home" and never quite get there until we reach heaven?

3 Comments:

  • Hey, if you miss the cold... Cincinnati!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:25 PM  

  • I can totally relate to what you are going through. Right now, my sister is picking up my mail...my license plate is from a different state than my licese and my car is parked in neither of those states... that is how much out of a home I am! It's a very strong strugle for me, and I don't have any solutions yet.
    I think God wants us to be challenged and ever seeking Him. For some a permanent home wouldn't cause them to rely less on God. For me, constantly moving forces me to rely on God and be more vulnerable. With something too fixed, too 'mine'I may depend on myself more than God.

    I miss you!

    By Blogger Ryan, at 7:16 AM  

  • I am so glad you got to go home, but does this mean you won't be going home for Thanksgiving? Miss you!

    By Blogger John, at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home