absolutely random

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

keeping pace

I had a really good impromtu conversation with a friend last night while driving through the endless state that is Indiana. Seriously...perhaps Nebraska or Kansas are more boring, but I don't have to drive through those states on a semi-regular basis. I wish that I had one of those transmitters from Star Trek and Scottie could beam me up from Chicago to Cincinnati without all the hassle of Indiana. Anyway, the conversation was mostly about her recent college graduation. I asked her the dreaded question: so what are you planning on doing now? The harsh reality of that question is often very overwhelming for a recent grad. You have spent years and countless hours in school and now...where do you go from here? Often times there is that disillusionment process where one realizes the world is not as you thought it would be. I know that I had that panic. So to stall from reality I decided to hop into grad school right away. Which wouldn't have been a bad idea if I had really known what I was signing myself up for in the first place. After that short but painful experience of realizing that I had made a mistake, I faced the same daunting quetion: so what are you planning on doing now?
For the longest time I felt as though I had to make something up to satisfy the curiousity of the people who were asking me. Well, after taking some time off I plan on going to such and such prestigious university or I plan on moving to such and such exotic location or I plan on solving world hunger or something of the like. I felt this consuming need to feel as though I was keeping pace with the world around me. Even though I had left my grad program I was going to land on my feet in spectacular fashion and continue running this race towards success. I would not stumble, or atleast I wouldn't let those around me know that I really needed a break. I would keep running, keep pushing myself until I really did catch up with everyone else involved in this imaginary social standings race.
However, after about six months of making stuff up I decided it wasn't worth it. I began to answer people honestly that I really didn't know what I was doing next. If they were still curious I would tell them about grad school and my interestes and hopes for the future. But I came to learn an important lesson. This "race" to which I refer does exist in the professional world, but it's not that important. You can change your mind and the world does not fall apart. You can be unsure and realize that you are not alone...that most people are unsure. If you are a Christian, than the rules and standards of this world don't apply to you. God doesn't care if you are "on pace" with your life plan, or even that you have a life plan. God only cares that you serve him and that you are seeking him in everything that you do. If that happens to be making coffee (like me) than do that until you hear a different call.
I guess this was part me venting and part me attempting to encourage those around who feel the pressure of success weighing upon them to let it go. Keeping pace is useless if that pace isn't God's.

2 Comments:

  • Well said. Good advice and encouragement. What if (hypothetically) you are trying to let go of the pressures of the race/figure out what to do with life but are not necessarily in step with God? Seeking/serving him has occurred in the past, but now is a bit of a "time-off". It somewhat adds to the frustration of things. Where is comfort found? God does not abandon us even if we abandon him, I know. And that service for God is still important and ultimately desired in the future...just not necessarily (although selfishly) right now. It still feels like floundering (guilt, selfishness, stubbornness, sadness, loneliness, etc.) when there's not a pace to follow...the world's or God's.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:11 PM  

  • What do you say in response of a response....I wish I were as eloquent as Dear Abby or something of the sort. Well, here's my attempt. Forgive me ahead of time if I screw up.
    Dear Anonymous,
    To start I pray that God will clearly speak to you and guide your decisions. It sounds to me like you are hurting yourself before you even get started by saying that you are taking time off from God. If God can work through me being a waitress, than I think that he can work through pretty much anything. Don't get swept up in the misconception that "ministry" is only doing something in the church or something phenominal. If you want to make Godly decisions than do so, and no matter what the context God will bless those. The in between life is complicated and unsatisfying from what I have experienced. You can't make both sides happy. You end up with an unsettling feeling of vauge satisfaction. And I pray you have more than vauge satisfaction.

    By Blogger Juliet, at 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home