absolutely random

Thursday, November 04, 2004

i'm not whining

So I realized while filtering through my last few entries that I am an utter and complete whiner. I have written mostly negative things on this blog for the past two months. For those of you not keeping track that is about the same amount of time that I have been in Miami. However, this weekend really changed a lot for me. I had an unexpectantly great weekend traveling with our high school band Drive to a small country church outside of Tampa. I wasn't looking forward to it, infact I was pissed that I had to leave at 2am and wouldn't arrive at our destination until 8am! I was already exhausted from the week and didn't feel like not sleeping for a weekend.
But when I woke up and stumbled out of the van it was as if I had been transported to another world. A world with trees and small white country churches and sweet poeple who cooked us biscuits and gravy for breakfast with eggs and fresh squeezed orange juice. I laughed with the band members and we played and sang and enjoyed the company of cordial country folk along with their homemade pumpkin pies. I felt like I had gone back in time where people actually knew their neighbors and there was a sense of love, if not that of mutual understanding. I felt safe and comfortable and peaceful all at once. And then it came to me.... I like the country. I would have never said that say, three months ago, but there is an overwhelming peace when you are somewhere quiet and open and green. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still a city-loving girl...but a calming trip to the country every once and while is soothing to say the least.
Anyway, I had a great ride back to Miami, most of which I spent laughing and I felt mostly refreshed and ready to tackle the loud and busy city once again. I was once again taught that God often works in ways we don't expect. I didn't expect to enjoy this weekend. I expected to be worn out and exhausted and crabby and annoyed. But God had in mind amazing peace and joy and fellowship. I am glad to say that the whiner did not triumph. For once cynicism did not get the best of me. Amen.

4 Comments:

  • Remember the "Whiner of Catan" card? Ha ha ha.

    I simply think Catan is simply a microcosm of what's going on. You whine about life so that you can sneak in victory and surprise people. Makin people think you're all down and out of the game, but you really aren't... You are so smart, funny, and friendly, a great friend, etc. You just play your cards in a way to make it seem that you aren't that way, somehow. But you are not fooling me Juliet. You are supa cool. You may think your "whining" covers it up, but it doesn't. You're fly.
    So quit your whining.
    ;) your friend in the Nati, John

    By Blogger John, at 3:58 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger John, at 3:58 PM  

  • ha!! sounds like the fields are a-callin'. good for you. well, good that things are refreshed for now. hey, look at http://www.jgrundhofer.blogpot.com that'll keep ya grinnin'...(ps. you don't have to download all that hooey it says you have to). have a fantastic day girly-girl.
    xoxo
    your watch band sister in l-burg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM  

  • Hey Juliet, wish I could've come to visit you in Miami, I've been praying for you though...my time went too fast, I return to Illinois on Thursday.

    You can change your link to my blogsite to "amistyflower.blogspot.com" because I changed and your link is to my old site.

    Love you friend, am praying for you and anxious to catch up with you...someday...maybe not until heaven though!

    By Blogger flowergirl, at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home