absolutely random

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

unwittingly drafted

I had a revelation the other day that I am now "in ministry." Someone here referred to me as a missionary when introducing me to one of their friends. Somehow this thought hadn't occurred to me prior to this encounter. A missionary? Me? I'm just a grad-school drop-out who was sick of working her two dead-end food service jobs and not feeling like she was going to make a difference in the world by serving random people pasta. I'm no missionary. And then it hit me, I raised my own support, I'm working through a church, I'm living in Christian community
....awwww crap, I'm a missionary. How did that happen? It seemed odd to me that I had never thought of it that way. I saw this year as an opportunity to try something new, stretch my wings, and by the way help some people...but I never really intended on being labled a missionary. Isn't missions something that someone is specifically called to, perhaps a major in bible college? But certainly not something someone realizes they already are?
I always said while at LCC that I would never work in a church. I don't like churches that much as far as the institutional standpoint. I see preachers who are stomped on by their congregations and placed under unrealistic scrutiny by their parishoners and I never wanted to be a part of that system. I want to do ministry without the problems and expectations of a "church." I guess that's kind of what I'm doing here as a "missionary." I work as a community music school director and that basically means that I function as an adminstrator, a secretary, an assistant, a facilitator, a teacher, a mentor, and a friend to many. It's a very ambiguous role that is sometimes confusing and sometimes perfect. In my quest to thwart the traditional institution roles of the church I have unwittingly been drafted as a "missionary."

And to top it all off, now I'm thinking about Seminary...yet another thing I said that I would not do when I graduated from bible college. It seems as though God has a way of getting me to do things that I seemingly didn't want to do.

Let us keep testing this theory...I never want to marry a Godly, handsome, charming, intelligent man.

Bring it!

5 Comments:

  • That's how I ended up with David . . . well sort of anyway! I said I was done dating guys for a while and at the same time became friends with David. God decided to play a little joke on me . . . and I'm pretty glad He did! You'll have to let me know if it works for you too : )

    By Blogger Jarretts, at 3:30 PM  

  • Hmmm, while you are at it, why don't you wish for me to get stuck in this tech support job and never find a campus ministry???

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:35 PM  

  • Ha Ha! Yeah, God sure does have a sense of humor. I said I would never return to the midwest to live. And God brought me to Quincy! I also said I'd never drive a minivan. I'm just waiting for that one... :)

    Oh and, seminary isn't too bad. I actually LIKE going to class!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:45 PM  

  • *coughMcCormickcough*

    Stretch away.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:30 PM  

  • alright...so i am looking at McCormick...we'll see.

    Eric...consider it done.

    By Blogger Juliet, at 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home